Photo Credit: Anita Faurot © 2008
Experienced Patent Law Attorney Represents Innovators Worldwide
Assisting Independent Inventors, Small Businesses, and Corporations
The Law Office of Steven R. Olsen, PLLC represents the interests of independent inventors, small/mid-sized businesses, and other entities in patent matters before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. The firm obtains patent rights for its clients to block competitors in the marketplace and build valuable intellectual property (IP) portfolios. The firm also helps clients defend against allegations of patent infringement, and preemptively manage the risk of patent infringement liability, by invalidating patent rights belonging to client competitors. Although the firm is located in central Florida, it serves clients worldwide.
Unique Combination of Technical and Legal Experience
After obtaining his engineering degree, Mr. Olsen worked for 17 years at a major electronics company. Mr. Olsen started as a design engineer and later held middle management positions in product development, manufacturing and marketing. Having gained an appreciation for the value of patent rights in the marketplace, Mr. Olsen attended law school in the evenings, graduating cum laude from The Catholic University of America in 2001. He developed his patent application preparation, prosecution, and counseling expertise as an associate attorney at two highly-regarded national law firms. His supporting role on several high-stakes patent litigation matters informs his current patent application preparation, trial, and appeal practice. Mr. Olsen opened his own patent firm in February 2007.
Cost-Effective Strategies for Patent Acquisition and Invalidation
Attorney Olsen helps clients decide whether pursuing patent protection is even prudent. If it is, he can suggest the most cost-effective patent application preparation, filing, and prosecution strategy. The Law Office of Steven R. Olsen PLLC offers most attorney tasks related to U.S. patent application preparation and prosecution on a firm fixed-fee basis. The costs are predictable because the client approves all fees in advance. There are no surprises.
Businesses must sometimes defend against allegations of patent infringement. One way to defend against such a claim is to invalidate the asserted patent(s). Preemptively invalidating one or more competitor patents can also be a reasonable business strategy for mitigating against the risk of patent infringement liability and/or for gaining market advantage. Unfortunately, attempting to invalidate a patent can be a very expensive proposition in U.S. federal court. This is especially true when engaging a large law firm or mid-sized intellectual property boutique to handle such matters. Mr. Olsen offers a cost-effective alternative: challenging the validity of patents before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), with a small team of professionals, at a fraction of the cost.
Legal Services Menu
The Law Office of Steven R. Olsen, PLLC is a federal patent practice. Mr. Olsen:
- Conducts prior art searches to provide insight into patentability, clearance, or market competition;
- Prepares patentability opinions;
- Prepares and files U.S. provisional (utility) patent applications;
- Prepares and files U.S. non-provisional (utility) patent applications;
- Prepares and files U.S. design patent applications;
- Prepares and files international patent applications;
- Prosecutes patent applications before examiners at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO);
- Appeals examiner rejections to the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB);
- Challenges the validity of U.S. (competitor) patent grants before the USPTO’s Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB);
- Prepares and files 3rd-party submissions in U.S. (competitor) patent applications;
- Prepares and files 3rd-party observations in international (competitor) patent applications;
- Records patent assignment documents in the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO);
- Performs patent due diligence investigations, for example with respect to a potential investment in or acquisition of a target company; and
- Provides patent counseling related to patent acquisition.
Mr. Olsen has experience in a wide range of technology areas, including:
- Computer software
- Computer architecture
- Electrical/electronic components and systems
- Mechanical components and systems
- Electro-mechanical systems
- Manufacturing processes
- Business methods
Take the First Step with a Free Consultation
Contact patent attorney Steven Olsen through this website or by calling his office at 352-586-6628. Initial consultations are free. With extensive engineering and legal experience, the Law Office of Steven R. Olsen PLLC is prepared to assist with your patent-related objectives.